Desmond Leddin, MB; Paul Charlebois, MD
Dalhousie University, with the help of the other Maritime universities formed and sent a hospital to Europe during the First World War (WWI). They served from January 1916 to April 1919. There is no comprehensive account of the treatment of German wounded by Canadian Medical Services in WWI; however, there is direct photographic and written evidence from the No. 7 Canadian Stationary Hospital that the relationship was one of mutual trust, more characteristic of that between a health care provider and patient than between combatants. The activities of the No. 7 in treating German wounded from the Western Front provide insight into this undocumented aspect of the medical services in WWI. A previously unrecognized painting by Sir William Orpen, one of the leading artists of the 20th century, of the unit at work in France is described.
Accepted Dec. 20, 2016
Affiliation: From the Department of Medicine, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS (Leddin, Charlebois); the Canadian Field Hospital, Petawawa, ON (Charlebois); and the Canadian Forces Health Services Centre (Atlantic), Halifax, NS (Charlebois).
Competing interests: None declared.
Contributors: Both authors contributed substantially to the conception, writing and revision of this article and approved the final version for publication.
Correspondence to: D. Leddin, Room 912 Victoria, Victoria General Hospital, 1278 Tower Rd, Halifax NS B3H 2Y9; Desmond.Leddin@dal.ca